The Valley of Ashes

12.07.2009

On The Road to West Egg I

So, if you may or may have not noticed, there is a playlist on the right side of the blog. I plan on making the greatest playlist ever known to man. I will be dissecting every song that I place on that list for your reading and hearing pleasure, and hopefully providing a transition suitable for the songs I mention.

"Cover Me Slowly" and "Agoraphobia" by Deerhunter.
Beautiful, just elegant sounds blending with each other that flows easily. A great way to start off any listening session, the two songs move as one with "Cover..." being an intro of sorts to "Agoraphobia", with the latter providing excellent PIMA techniques and fret work, with a crazy synth ladden end. The somber lyrics ("Feed me twice a day/I want to fade away", "I am losing my voice/but I have nothing left to say") pack on more emotion to this already great song.

"Suture Up Your Future" by Queens of the Stone Age.
Deerhunter segways into what maybe my favorite Queens song in existence. While I personally don't have any great feelings towards Josh Hommes' last escapade with QotSA (Era Vulgaris sucked to me, to be quite honest.) this song stands out from that Frisbee of an album and the groups whole catalogue as a whole. I recognize Hommes' brilliance when it comes to making frantic, balls to the wall epic sex filled masterpieces, but him working this song's mellowness and bringing it out slowly with mounting bass throbs to occasional minor chords to and epic breakdown and back is him at his finest. Not to mention, the lyrics are on point ("I don't care if it hurts/just so long as its real"). Well played sir, well played.

"Californication" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.
It's effing "Californication". "Nuff said.

Catch the nest three songs next week, peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment